Akademi Choreography Commission
Akademi Choreography Commissions
APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN
Closing date: 18 November 2016, 12:00pm
GemArts is delighted to be a partner on the Akademi choreography commissions, a choreographic development opportunity that will support four South Asian dance projects created by professional artists. The applications will be divided as follows:
· Two projects will be awarded with £5,000 to present a group choreography.
· Two projects will be awarded with £2,000 to present a solo.
The choreography commissions are open to artists with a professional background in any Indian dance style. Akademi will accept applications from the entire Indian dance canon; including all varieties of Indian dance from classical to contemporary, and everything in between. These commissions will not support commercial work created specifically for an entertainment context. The choreographer must be able to clearly articulate the project and the creative process that will be taken with this commission.
The opportunity to apply to Arts Council England’s Grants for the Arts Programme is factored into these choreographic commissions, a maximum of £15,000 is available (dependent on successful application to ACE). 100% of artists who have applied through Akademi’s choreographic programme have been successful in their G4A applications.
Applicants must have:
- A professional background in a classical Indian dance style.
- A professional track record in choreographing work on themselves or on others.
- A commitment to work with a mentor, explore and further their professional development.
- Enthusiasm to advocate for Akademi and our choreography commissions programme.
- A clear well researched choreographic idea and the ability to professionally articulate it.
- The ability to create a project plan, budget and evaluate their work.
- The group work must be between 18-20 minutes in length.
- The solo work must be between 15-18 minutes in length.
- If selected, the work applied with should be the same as the work that is performed.
- The work must have simple technical requirements.
- If choreographing a group choreography, every company member should be over 18 years of age.
- A commission of either £2000 for solo or £5000 for group choreography.
- A fund of £750 to be allocated to an artist nominated mentor.
- A platform to present the work to be arranged by Akademi in May 2017.
- Three one-to-one sessions with a member of Akademi’s artist support & development team and project partners where appropriate.
- Marketing & communications support.
- Access to promoters, programmers, venues, and funders.
- Production support and assistance with applications to Arts Council England’s Grants for the Arts funding programme.
How to Apply: Fill out the application form (available from www.akademi.co.uk) and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 18 November 2016. For more information, please email email@example.com or call 020 76913210.
Akademi in partnership with GemArts, Curve, Sampad, Kadam, CICD, South East Dance, Yorkshire Dance, and Dance Umbrella, Southbank Centre, The Place Funded by Arts Council England and Esmee Fairbairn Foundation.